Friday, April 29, 2011

update on the girls


I'm able to sit down & focus this morning & give you all a better update. We're slowly trying to get settled. Our house is, of course, still upside down. Steve & I are not the neatest couple so with having 2 toddlers running around, our house looks messy all the time. It's been nice living in Gilbert...oh wait, have I said that before already? Well, just figured I would say it again and again!

I'm in the midst of figuring out which school Chloe will be attending in the Fall. There's a couple of school that I'm very much interested in. I've taken Chloe (and Callie too) to check out which of the school she likes the best. I'm not sure why I would bother asking her since I know what her answer would be...but I thought I'd take her along so she can get a better feel for the school. We all are aware that she's not into big changes - she adapts eventually but anything new comes her way, she's apt to stay behind me...or whoever she can hide herself from! Our friend, Conni, was at the school with me. Her sons goes to one of the school I'm looking into. The minute we arrive in the parking lot, Chloe was very hesitant & started to tell me that she doesn't like the school. I proceed to ask since she hasn't even made it inside the building. Of course, she couldn't really give me the real answer. All she kept saying was that it wasn't pretty! I know she wasn't comfortable so I just reassured her that we were just looking and how I was very interested in finding out more about the school. She was very excited to see that Ms. Conni was there waiting for us, along with her friend, Mateo (Conni's son). Her eldest son had school the day we visited so Chloe got to see Diego be in a class. Overall, I think she started to feel comfortable and like the school. I know she loved all their recess toys that they had out - especially the Princess Scooter!

The 1st school Program:
A rich bible-based curriculum that is standards driven.
NAEYC principle aligned.
Weekly Chapel days
Highly qualified Christian Teachers; many are fully credentialed!
Ability grouping to meet the needs of every child at every level.
Multiple modes of teaching (visual, auditory, kinesthetic & tactile).
Music, dramatic play and unique crafts.

Small Classroom Ratios (12:1 at most with aides in our 3's classes).

After School Lunch Bunch Classes.
Healthy Snacks (peanut free school).
Environmentally friendly….we’re going as green as possible!
Fun and educational field-trips/excursions.
Parent & Teacher Organization.
Summer “Fun in the Sun” Camp.
A safe, warm and fun environment in which to learn!
=======================================================
I'll be checking out the other school next week, also.

Here's the 2nd School Program
Succeed in Reading, Math, Writing, Art, Science, & Social Skills
Individualized Instruction
Imagination & Thinking Power...THRIVE!
Interactive Learning Centers Through PLAY
Specials: P.E. Spanish Musical Movement

Classroom Ratios 14:1

=======================================================
Callie is saying a bit more words now. She can say the following words:

si-si (for Chloe)
dad/dada
mommmy/mama
pease (please)
puppy
more
hap (help)
no
mine
a-pane (airplne)
sun
boon (balloon)
baaard (bird)
eye
nos (nose)
shu (shoes)
choo-choo
up pease (up please)
uphaa (up high)- she loves saying this when we're on the freeway and she can see all the cars below!
shhh (when she knows she's supposed to be quiet)
baa (ball)
me
outa (outside...she tells Magic "outa" when he has to go outside)
barbe (barbie)
jasin (jasmine...the princess)
ayar (ariel)
d-d (Dora)

This is all I can think right now. She understands us very well. But she does take advantage of us speaking for her, especially her big sister. I'm gonna keep her at home this fall rather than enrolling her in pre-school. She hasn't really gotten to have a 1 on 1 with me. When Chloe was in school this year, she was still doing her 2 naps a day. So it'll be good for Callie to have a few hours with me while Chloe is in school. I'm not worried about Callie's social skills - she has plenty enough to share. I'll be working on her ABC's, count 1-10, colors and shapes. So it'll be nice to do that with her. I'd like to enroll her in a gym class too. She's so good at hanging on the bars. She loves to hang on our dining table, which Steve isn't too keen with the idea because it's isn't safe. She's gotten herself on time out a few times doing that. She's definitely our monkey!!!

Both girls are taking swim lessons right now. Chloe is a bit more shy and isn't willing to try the lessons that she's supposed to be learning. Her teacher, Megan, caters to her too much. I had to tell the teacher that she needs to be strict with Chloe and not let her get away so much. I'm sure she must think I'm one of those psycho mom's...after all she is in high school, don't they all think their Mom's are psycho???? Just kidding. But, both, Steve & I noticed a little change on her last lesson. She's trying to relax and make herself, somewhat, enjoy the swimming portion of her lesson. It's so sad how excited we get when she is willing to give us an inch!!! Callie, on the other hand, is elated being in the class. She's picking up very quickly. She's enjoying herself and gets very excited to the point that she, sometimes skips the step to where she's supposed to be. I'm having to constantly remind her that she has to follow the steps and just can't skip them inorder to get to where she wants. For instance, she's learning to pull herself out of the pool. So she's supposed to do elbow, elbow, knee and pull up! She'll put 2 elbows at one time and tries to pull herself out of the water w/o placing her knee up. So she's basically trying to climb out of pool with her upper body, which is harder. So I'm having to pull her back down into the water and make her do what her teacher taught her, which is elbow, elbow, knee and then pull up! Once she does what she's supposed to do, she can do it w/o a hitch! And boy, once she's out, she'll say "tad-da (tada)!" with a big smile on her face.

Here's our photos for the month of March & April.